My Open Book/Jaws setup not working with Jaws 8

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Open Book" <openbook-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 14:49:23 -0800

Hi. I'm posting this to both the Open Book and the JFW List. With help from
folks on the Open Book list, I set up Open Book so that I could use Jaws
with it instead of the supplied voices. This basically required setting the
speech combo box under OB's settings to No Speech, and unchecking the Sleep
Mode item in a tab of the Jaws Advanced Options menu under settings in
Configuration Manager. It worked pretty well.

But since I installed Jaws 8 yesterday, when I launch Open Book, it's
silent. I know I haven't changed anything in the OB settings, so I didn't
mind that I had no way to inspect that. But I did look in Advanced Settings
to see if Sleep Mode had been enabled again without my realizing it. Nope.
Still unchecked.

I can't think of anything else to look for. Could Open Book be looking for
Eloquence in the wrong folder, now, since I installed Jaws 8? That's all I
can think of. If that's the problem how can I redirect Open Book to look for
the Eloquence synth in the copy of Jaws that's running? I have a feeling I'm
not asking the question quite right. Sage advice will be appreciated.