Re: Most Wanted App but no script exists

  • From: "Gary King" <w4wkz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:05:53 -0600

Unless things have changed drastically with QuickBooks over the years, and I
doubt they have, the only way you will ever get this application scripted is to
find an expert script writer who is willing to come to your place of business
and produce a custom set of frames and scripts for your installation of
QuickBooks.  This is what Ken Gould did for his business several years ago.
Fortunately, he was the expert script writer who didn't need to travel anywhere
and didn't have to pay anyone.  In case you haven't heard of Ken Gould, he
wrote a very useful scripting manual for JAWS that gave a lot of script writers
their start.

When I was trying to help a client a few years ago who was interesting in
accounting, I asked Ken if he could write scripts for QuickBooks.  He said that
because of the nature of the software, he was unable to produce a comprehensive
set of scripts for general distribution that would work with all installations
of QuickBooks.

I hope someone can prove him wrong, since an accessible accounting package for
blind business owners is still needed badly.  Good luck!

Gary King
w4wkz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx