Re: More Detailed Link

  • From: "KANE BROLIN" <k.brolin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 22:02:05 -0500

Devona:

I understand that quite a few options exist on this page.  I'll walk you
through as best I can; I know software developer sites change quite often.

I encourage you first to go to the link mentioned in my first message:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

This site shows 75 different links.  The 41st link is called "Download JRE
5.0 Update 3."  Click on that link.

You then will come to a Download Center, where Sun Microsystems asks you to
read their license agreement and agree to the terms of use.  Provided you
agree, you must check the ACCEPT box, tab once to the left, and click on the
CONTINUE button.

Finally, Devona, you will be prompted with a series of possible downloads.
Like many programs today, Sun wants you to use an engine designed both to
download and automatically install the software at the same time.  I do not
prefer this method, because I like it much better when a site allows me
simply to download a program into a specified directory so I can install it
later at my leisure and store it on my hard drive.  Fortunately, Sun does
give us that option.  I prefer picking the link that says "Windows Offline
Installation."

I'm walking through this process as I write this to you.  The file you want
is about 15 MB in length, which could take at least 45 minutes if you have a
dial-up connection.  It's called "jre-1_05_0_03-windows-i586-p.exe."
From here, you should be fine.

I know it's difficult at first to know what exactly you should download.
But Sun does seem to do a good job of giving you FAQ's and instructions to
help once you know which file you need.  You even have the opportunity to
take a quick survey about the download experience.

Hope this was helpful.  I wish you success.

Regards,

-Kane