Re: Modifying the dictionary

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:04:13 -0800

I agree, Judith.  I've learned the same lesson experimenting with less
exotic examples, such as modifying the dictionary to have Jaws say "drive"
when it sees the "Dr." abbreviation in an address.  Of course,it's only I
who knows when the context is a street address, with the result that the
dictionary began also referring to everyone with a doctoral degree in any
field as "Drive."  So, for a brief, silly period, everyone from my primary
care physician to academics and scientists quoted in New York Times articles
acquired the Christian name Drive.  that was a bit weird.  As the only
alternative would be to allow the famous street lined with extravagant
boutiques in downtown Beverly Hills to be renamed Rodeo Doctor-- though I
suppose, among bull riders and bronc busters there really exist such a
professional-- I gave it up.

So now I tolerate good old dee are period and learn to like it.  It's not
all that painful.