Re: Modifying JAWS 6.0 to utilize my DECTalk Express?

  • From: "Adam Daou" <adam.daou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <betoescobar3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:24:35 -0500

During Jaws 6.0 installation, there's a sorted list of software and hardware
Speech Synthesizers provided for the user. It contains 9 items: Accent SA,
Apollo 2, Braille 'n Speak, DECtalk Access32 Software, DECtalk Express,
Doubletalk LT, FlexTalk Software, Triple-Talk PCI, and Triple-Talk USB. Some
people are using a hardware synthesizer such as Accent, Doubletalk or DECtalk
Express, and some have just a sound card which means they can use a software
synthesizer such as FlexTalk, Eloquence or DECtalk Access 32 Software. So,
normally, you just check the kind of synthesizer you need when arrowing down.
For instance, even if I select DECtalk Express, I always select DECtalk
Access32 Software, and FlexTalk Software, just in case of hardware synthesizer
failure. Jaws will then ask you to select the Primary Device, that is to say
the default Speech Synthesizer you prefer. The list provided will show the
synthesizers you have selected as well as Eloquence for Jaws and SAPI 5. Hope
this will clarify the question regarding Accent synthesizer.
Adam