Missing Calculator, How To Get It Back?

  • From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:21:16 -0500

Hello all:

I'm working with someone who had an item on his start menu for
Calculator.  He's running JAWS 8.0 I believe with Windows XP.  Recently,
when he tried to go to the Calculator icon on the start menu and press
enter on it, he got an error that read, "calculator.lnk not found."
This told me that the shortcut file had been deleted.  In checking the
start->All Programs->Accessories menu, we could not find a Calculator
item there.

I provided the client with instructions on how to put a new Calculator
shortcut onto the accessories menu, then pin it to the start menu.  One
of the steps I provided was how to go to the shortcut option on the file
menu and set the shortcut target to:
%SystemRoot%\System32\calc.exe.
He says he has tried this and the calc.exe file cannot be found.

So, here's his and my question.  How do we get the calc.exe file back
onto his system so he can restore the shortcut and pin it to the start
menu?  Can this be done via add/remove Windows Components, or, will it
take a System Restore?

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)