Re: Microsoft word inserting text

  • From: "Margaret Thomas" <iluvtoread@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 06:39:27 -0400

Yardbird,

    I looked up the keystroke for switching to overstrike since I
couldn't remember it and wanted to jog my memory and I may have at
least a partial answer for you as to why the Insert key you used to
use doesn't work with JAWS.  I have some old newsletters produced
primarily for sighted people that tell them how to do it and they say
to use the insert key with numlock turned off.  Since JAWS runs with
numlock off, it makes sense to me that maybe this is why it doesn't
work with JAWS.  I never had enough sight to do it the way it's
described in the newsletters which sounds like the way you did it
before JAWS.

    I use a different short cut key to load IE and JAWS says
OVERSTRIKE and INSERT when I toggle back and forth with the
Control-Alt-I key in Word 2000 with JAWS 6.2 and XP Home.

Margaret

Yardbird wrote:
Is this a Jaws key combination?  It doesn't sound like a Word hotkey.
It
conflicts, unfortunately, with a hotkey combo I use for launching
Internet
Explorer.  Why doesn't the regular insert key I used to use prior to
Jaws on
the keyboard work when Jaws is running?  It doesn't even speak and
identify
itself when I press Insert 1 and then press it (in the group of keys
at the
upper right of the alphanumeric keyboard).

Thanks.