Maximized program vs. maximized message (was Re: JAWS 8, OE and FS Tech Support)

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:14:15 -0700

Hi guys,

I just want to confirm that the comment below about the importance of
maximizing a message in order to edit accurately in it is something I've
mentioned a few times. In my case, I never thought about installing some
utility to do this automatically,but I can see where someone might find that
convenient and reassuring.

What I have explained before, and will try to explain again, is this: The
size in which a new message, or a reply, or a forward, opens when you begin
to work on it isn't related to whether Outlook or Outlook Express has opened
maximized when it launched.  That has to do with the program interface and
everything it contains, from the menu line to the panes with folders and
message lists.

Now, when you open a message in order to edit it, at first it's  only a
smaller area within that screen-filling interface. Though I suppose the
little program mentioned below conveniently modifies this, what I'm
describing is the default, the norm. A sighted user might leave such a
message window reduced size while editing it, if the text isn't too small
for their comfort that way. If it is, and they can't find their reading
glasses, or whatever, then they'd click the control to maximize the message
to fill the screen. but that's what we Jaws users often have to do as a
matter of course in order to ensure that Jaws can function accurately within
the message area.

In other words, the message isn't "the program," so to speak. Just because
the program interface is maximized doesn't mean a message will be maxed when
you open it.  So if you want it to fill the screen, obscuring everything
else in the interface except for the menu line, then you maximize it. Again,
this is not the same as talking about having the program itself open
maximized when it launches.

I use the good old alt spacebar x to maximize my messages, except for when
I'm allowing Jaws to read through an Inbox  message automatically without my
interference, the moment I click it open. Jaws does this fine, without
maximizing. But if I even want to navigate manually with my arrow keys and
such around that message, I'll maximize it just to let jaws work as
accurately as possible.And of course if I press control r for reply or
control f for forward, I'll maximize the reply or the forward I'm about to
edit first thing before I start to type.

If anyone is not clear about this, I'll try to find a way to rephrase it.
But I hope this will help to clarify this ongoing confusion about maximizing
a program (by the way we set up its Properties) and maximizing one of its
screen elements, in this case an open message. Those aren't the same thing.
From: Cher Bosch

Adrian, I just completely uninstalled 8, downloaded the full latest version
and reinstalled- with no change in the troublesome behaviors at all. I
talked with FS tech support first, who suggested trying a repair, but JAWS
would not allow this action; so then went the total uninstall/reinstall
route. When I showed Reginald (FS) how JAWS only reads the first column in
the messages list when the shift key is held down he *was* able to reproduce
it.

Cher

PM