Re: Manually uninstalling Jaws8

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 12:00:26 -0700

Chris,

I'm quite sure you're right to interpret it this way. But for the FS tech
support person to have called this "manual uninstallation" is enough to at
least briefly confuse anyone. If all he meant is that she should uninstall
Jaws instead of simply overwriting it with the automatic update function, he
ought to have simply said that. Because the opposite of to manually
uninstall would be to *automatically* uninstall, and using the auto update
function doesn't "uninstall" jaws at all, but rather modifies it. So he
meant don't use auto update, just uninstall and reinstall.

English. Gosh, what a complicated language. Sorry. it just really burns me
when our time is wasted by having to figure out things like this. You have
to read between the lines to get something like this, and there's no good
reason why a person needing tech support can't be spared having to ask all
of us what on earth the guy meant, when what he said was simply meaningless
and needlessly confusing. And the worst part of it is that, once they hear
something like this, people tend to pick it up as if it were sensible, and
then everyone's going around talking like that. It happens all the time, and
out in the world, not just on mailing lists.

Just venting. But I get really burned up about this.

The Bird stands down.
Evenpeople waste tI just autmoatic ecause call this "manual unisto , sobut
that ----- Original Message -----