Re: Looking For Someone Who Knows Website Accessibility

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:52:30 -0500

I tried various methods for opening the "Daily" link specified in Wes's
original query. The one that kind of worked was to locate the link with the
JAWS cursor, then route to PC cursor. At that point I got the familiar MS
message saying the Webpage could not be found. I have a similar issue on the
Schwab website when JAWS cannot read a certain kind of PDF page, one that is
all image. Perhaps the pages beyond this links page are produced in a similarly
inaccessible PDF format.
From: Wes Derby

Hi All.

Okay, I know my subject heading was a bit vague, but here's the deal. I've
finally upgraded to JFW 7.1, and over all really like it. I'm running Windows
XP Home at home and Windows 2000 at work...Both are running the same version of
JFW as well as Internet Explorer 6.

Here's the problem I'm running into. Most websites, I can navigate absolutely
without a hitch...Even Target.com, who I know the NFB is suing for a lack of
accessibility. There is one site, however, that doesn't quite work right, and
I'm not sure if it's a JAWS issue, an IE issue, or something in the way the
developers have coded the page. The site is Melaleuca.com (they're a wellness
company, and for the purposes of full disclosure, I AM a customer and am
considering becoming a business builder, but this is ABSOLUTELY NOT an
advertisement). I can access several of the links, and I can even use the
search boxes to search for products. However, Many of the "mouse-over" links
don't take me to where they're supposed to take me.

For instance, in the product store, I can click on a category such as "Health"
or "Body" and see the subcategories. But, if, under "Health", I click on "Daily
Needs", the actual page content does not change...If I've started from the main
page, it still just continues to show me this month's specials...If I've
clicked on the categories from within a search, I still only hear my search
results. This is true of the categories in the store as well as the categories
in the "Business Center".

I'm wondering if someone would mind looking at the site and seeing if they have
any better luck, and if so, maybe you can let me know what settings you're
using in JAWS and IE in case I need to change something. Or, if someone knows
the problem and how to fix it, let me know that as well so that I can pass the
info on to the Webmaster. They seem to be open to making their site accessible,
especially now that they have a couple blind customers who have complained
about it, but I'm getting the impression they don't know what to do.

You should be able to browse the store without logging in/being a member, so
just go to www.melaleuca.com and check it out...Maybe we can figure out why
this is the ONLY shopping site I can't seem to use with JAWS.

I had this same problem when I was running JAWS 5.1, and hoped it'd go away
with 7.1, but it hasn't. I even changed browsers recently and tried the site
with Firefox with the same results. The links that aren't "mouse-overs" work
fine.

Thanks...Also, if anyone finds information that would help me, please reply
privately to wesderby@xxxxxxxxxxx as I don't always have time to check the
list, and occasionally, Comcast dumps list mail into my spam folder.

----
Are you interested in a more healthy, environmentally friendly home? Interested
in a potential home-based business with no selling involved? Click Here for
more information.

Visit Designs By Derby for scrapbooks, custom greeting cards, and much more.

Visit me on Myspace