Re: Lightweight Laptops...

  • From: "PossAble Consultancy" <lister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:24:03 +0100

Hi Chip,

No, I'm afraid it's not as simple as that...

Multi Channel sound cards are, as I understand it, about the number of sound
channels that can be put out.

The True Duplex issue is about the genuine ability to record sound in at the
same time as putting sound out, a facility that is necessary if you want to
use Jaws with Dragon, a speech recognition programme.

As you may remember, there were early cards that faked multi channel sound
out, well enough for general use, but not much good for Jaws & another sound
source, and many sound cards currently can record and play, but not truly
simultaneously...

I'm told by the makers of J-Say that this is a requirement to run J-Say
effectively...

Barry G