RE: Laptop compatibility

  • From: Chip Orange <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:08:49 -0500

I don't believe there are any issues for a laptop per say, only which OS
it may come with, as you already have mentioned.

For some reason, it's very hard to get a laptop with XP/home installed,
and for some other incomprehensible reason, Freedom Scientific charges
more for any version of JFW other than the one which works with XP/home.

There's no question, I'd switch to Window Eyes if I had to buy another
screen reader.  But if you don't, I just helped a friend by a Lenovo
laptop from Office Depot, and it came with XP/home installed, and JAWS 8
ran fine on it.  It was a very nice laptop, with a very nice keyboard
feel, and was only $600.  With a dual core CPU, it was very responsive,
and had 5 hours of battery life with the usual accessories (512 MB RAM,
CD burner/DVD player).

Lenovo used to be sold as Thinkpad.

HTH,

Chip