Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for Underlining in Word.

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 08:25:31 -0800

Just a note to mention that single underlining and double underlining aren't
used arbitrarily and interchangeably.  Single underlining has a more common,
normal function in text, for instance as emphasis where bolding or
italicizing a word or a group of words isn't possible, practical or
appropriate.

double underlining, on the other hand, has no normal use in ordinary text in
such things as school or academic papers, prose manuscripts of any kind, or
business correspondence.  In fact, as a formerly fully sighted reader
life-long and a professional writer and editor, I have to confess I've never
even seen double underlining anywhere that I can remember.  I'm sure it has
its uses in something to do with some sort of specialized editing work, or
something, but I wouldn't use it arbitrarily under the impression that it
looks extra forceful as a way to underscore something.  It would just look
eccentric and undermine the impression you make in, say, correspondence. .

If anyone does know one or more of the actual uses of the double underline,
please tell.  I'd love to be reminded of its real purpose.