Re: Jaws user friendly good antivirus program?

  • From: Yardbird <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:25:49 -0800

matthew

When I first installed Avast! a few months ago, I emailed their tech support
and asked them how often I should perform a full scan. He said very rarely,
and gave examples of situations where doing this might be prudent. But for
the most part, he explained that regular user scans shouldn't really be
necessarywith Avast!, as I was accustomed to from my years running AVG Free
Edition.

I'll paste in exactly what he said to me in his email on this topic. Hope
this helps.

Hi Joel,
yes your understanding is correct. This is the so called on-access or
resident protection. Avast will check any files at the moment they are
accessed to ensure they are free from infection. If anything suspicious is
detected, the file will not be opened, thus preventing any potential virus
from being activated, and the file will be reported as potentially
containing an infection. There may be certain times when you may want to run
a manual scan, for example when avast is first installed to ensure there are
no infections in your legacy (existing) files, or if the resident protection
is ever turned off for any reason.

Essentially, once avast is installed, it is immediately providing you with
virus protection through the resident protection feature and you don't need
to do anything else.

I hope this is of assistance,
Trevor Robinson
ALWIL software a.s.