RE: Jaws on vista

  • From: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:50:45 -0700

Hi Phyl,
Before I answer your question, I need to know some things here: * Is the Sony Vaio laptop using latest BIOS version designed for Vista? * Do you have the latest graphics driver for both systems? * Did you upgrade to Office 2007 Service Pack 1?
* Do you have JAWS 9.0.552 update?
* Did you upgrade to Vista Service Pack 1?
* Did you try the experiments without running JAWS - that is, with JAWS off, opening Word 2007, typing something, closing it using Alt plus F4 and to see if FN keys locked. Because if it does not happen without JAWS, then it is something to do with keyboard driver and JAWS. If it does happen even though JAWS is not running, then we have a software fault where upon closing, Word would active FN key and make it "sticky".
Here are some personal recommendations:
* Update to the latest graphics driver for both the laptop and the PC.
* Update the BIOS on the Vaio.
* Install Office 2007 Service Pack 1 and Vista Service Pack 1. * If you haven't already, update to JAWS 9.0.552. BTW, the best Office version to use with Vista besides Office 2007 is Office 2003 (in my opinion, Office 2000 (9.0) is not that reliable and lacks features such as Smart Tags introduced with Word 2002 (XP/10.0) and Help Assistants (introduced with 2003/11.0).). There is a listserv that talks about using Windows Vista (including Office 2007) from blindness perspective (if your daughter has an email address, I highly recommend that she join this Blind Vista list).
Cheers,
Joseph