Re: Jaws in a call center environment

  • From: "Darrell Shandrow" <nu7i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 10:22:58 -0700

Hi James,

Oh does the following statement you made ring so true:
"How well JAWS works with this or that
application is of little consequence if the employer in question
isn't willing to make the few minor adjustments that may be required."
In some cases, the complication is that an outsourcing arrangement exists
between the employer and their customer, for which the employees provide
customer service / support.  In such cases, the employer must often utilize
one or more applications developed or purchased by their client, where it is
usually not possible or practical to have the needed accessibility changes
made.  The laws and what is considered "reasonable" accomodations are even
more muddy in this kind of situation than they are already in a more
conventional direct employment scenario.