Re: Jaws for DOS works with freeDOS

  • From: Arnaud <arnaudb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:58:55 +0200

install_ing windows xp from DOS is very very very slow.

it's only interesting if you can repartition your drive with a dos partition tool before you install xp, otherwize, the regular unnattended install of xp from the xp boot cd is a better choice.

John Heim a écrit :
Wow, this is amazing but Jaws for DOS, a free download, does indeed work with freeDOS (also free).

I believe you need a hardware synth. But other than that, it would work on any typical machine and the software would be free. I'm not too familiar with freeDOS yet but there is a email client (pegasus mail) and an IM client. I couldn't get the full install to work. But that was probably because I did something wrong.

And now, for my next trick, I intend to make a Windows installation answer file, and then install Windows. And *then* I can make a bootable, talking, Windows installation CD.

It would be possible to create a program that does the necessary downloads, sets up jaws in a directory, copies the necessary files from your Windows CD, and makes a boot iso that would give you a talking Windows install.

Except not for Vista. From what I understand, Vista cannot be installed through a DOS promtp.