Re: Jaws and MS Word XP

  • From: Bill <bill.cam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:20:00 -0500

sid here is the info to your original question, by the way wanted to do the
same several years back with more complex equations so also joined the list.

unfortunately equation editor  because it is an object causes all kinds of
focus issues and many of the symbols are not labelled.

in addition equation editor is not a micro soft product so do not look for
m s to make it accessable in the future.

m s should just scrap it and create a bettter in house tool for doing this
that is accessable and also easier to use.

what info did the word list give me on this particular problem,         , hmmmm
only the fact that word perfect is a much better tool for inserting
equations in to documents.

realize this answer came from sighted folks so no idea if w p is accessable
in this respect, only no sighted users find doing math text books much
easier in w p.
I should state i am not certain if they where talking w p for dos or windows.

the list has 3 people that have published how to books on word, or
other  office apts, and its not a blind only list.

the sighted lady running the list bends over backwards to assist blind
folks how ever.

good luck

bill

p s i actually thought it might be easier to do equations in another
application, like excel,  then bring them over.

blind folks need a way to show sighted instructors the steps they perform
in a math problem.

I do no ted hinter was working on this issue, but unfortunately last time i
checked his application was aimed at first graders and basic operations.
like add subtract.

eventually he intends to add more complex math symbols.

it would be great if his application could export to a word document.
because their are times when we need to combine math with text in a document.

There are TWO ways to subscribe to the word-ms e-mail list.

First Way...
Go to Yahoo Groups directly via their web site at:

There you can see the group and sign up directly. You can fill out a
membership profile to Yahoo, and then know how to access the site by
bookmarking it and go there if you ever needs to follow up or check old
messages, etc. There'll be a button saying you're not a member and you can
click the one to Sign up for this group.

Second Way:
You can just have her send an email directly to the membership by
sending it to: word-ms-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The only disadvantage to doing it this way is that folks then don't
understand that they've signed up to a web site, too! So they forget how to
get the info (like I did!) Also, if you know how to get to the web site, you
can "manage" your account from the site by setting it to web mail if you go
away so it doesn't pile up...and then go there to check any messages you
missed while away.

Once you've joined...then you can send any questions to:
word-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And if you decides to leave, you can either leave the group through the web
site, or by sending an email here: