Re: Jaws and Adobe Reader

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:22:41 -0400

Samara,

First, make sure you have the accessible version of the latest release of Adobe
Reader, which I think is now up to 9. If the PDF document is a text file, this
program will take you through the steps for making it accessible. From your
message, it sounds as though you're more or less up to date in this regard.

However, when Adobe goes through the conversion process and reports something
like, "Empty document," it suggests you have an image file. In that case, you
will need to perform OCR, optical character recognition, on it. If you have a
Kurzweil 1000 or similar reading device, it will be able to do this task for
you. Otherwise, you will need to obtain an OCR application such as OmniPage or
others that have been recommended on this and other lists.