Jaws alternative, Mac Leopard VoiceOver and bootcamp

  • From: Cristobal Muñoz <cristobalm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 07:53:46 -0700

Hello list:

I will most likely have to buy a new desktop machine within the next few
months and was wondering if the VoiceOver screen reader for the Mac would be
a viable alternative to Jaws. I?m not exactly tired or fed up with Windows
or Jaws, but over all, the last few upgrades haven?t really impressed me and
it seems that with Vista pc usage is becoming more and more tedious. Has
anyone on here had any experience with using Mac machines and or VoiceOver
itself either on the Tiger OSX or the new Leopard OSX? Also, what about Boot
Camp? How would it work and using Jaws? I?m not llooking for advanced
computer usage or anything. I don?t deal with script and code writing. Just
word processing, spread sheets, data base stuff, a lot of Internet and so
on. I also have a windows based PDA and use ActiveSync, but other then that,
nothing special.

If I want to upgrade to Jaws 9, I believe I?m going to hve to pay for the
upgrade so I?d like to get as much information as possible before I keep on
plunking down $200 or so. I haven?t been able to come across much
information on voiceover in general on the Net. Just a really bad review on
the AFB site from a while back. I?ve also heard from others that the Mac it
great, it?s incredible etc.

Again, any input or observations would be appreciated.

Cristobal