Re: Jaws Standard/professional

  • From: Sue B <sueb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:02:37 -0400

Joe,

I don't think your reply was harsh at all. I wasn't getting as specific with all of the various versions and such. I was just thinking about the fact that the two versions of JAWS for Windows on a PC don't do anything functionally different, but the necessity of having the two versions must lay in their development on Freedom Scientific's end. Understanding more about how that works in terms of the difference in cost to the consumer would be interesting. I don't know if anyone from the company monitors and want to comment. I don't in any way mean for this to become a hot button issue or complaint about Freedom Scientific. I would hope that it is an opportunity for those who want to understand it better to get the information they need.

Sue B.

Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi Sue,
The best way to answer this is yet another comparison. Technical reasons
does count, as you have stated. Also, as I have said few weks ago, market
differentiation also counts. A good comparison would be Windows itself and
Office versions.
Technically, there are three versions of JAWS now, one built-in to a device
and two versions as license versions - JAWS Pocket for PAC Mate, JAWS
Standard and JAWS Pro. I cannot really say about JAWS Pocket, as this
relates to matters outside of this list (on PAC Mate list, yes, it would
count).
Also, Windows 9x - 95, 98, ME - are no longer supported, as well as NT 4.0
Workstation/Server variants. At the time of differentiation, it would have
mattered. However, now all JAWS supports is all based on NT family, so the
question on differences between 9x and NT is largely out of the question.
As for Tandem, Remote Desktop support and such, it is actually built into
JAWS program package. The purchase of the "remote" license means that you
are unlocking the features associated with the thing you are purchasing. In
the real world, the same strategy is implemented in Windows Vista/7
(especially in Windows 7, where all features of the OS is installed on the
machine; the product key you entered determines which features would be
activated). Also, for clarification, Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is only
available in Pro versions of Windows (Home versions only have Remote
assistance).
Here's my advice (at least from a college student's perspective): Economics
and market demands does matter, even in this situation as differentiating
JAWS versions. But, in functionality, it is just an integral executable
named jfw.exe... So let us sit back and think for a moment about this: is
there even a functional difference between standard and pro, apart from OS
authorization and unlocking features of Pro versions (Tandem, Remote Desktop
and so forth)?
Since this topic is sensitive, I will not say anything on this matter for a
while.
Cheers,
Joseph P.S. Sorry for harshness.