RE: Jaws 8.0

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 10:14:07 -0600

Hi. JAWS 8.0 was released back in late November of 2006. as for "common glitches", it's important to say that no piece of software is perfect, meaning that if something didn't work on someone else's machine, it may work on yours. they added lots of new features, and it does seem more stable. The only way you're ever gonna know is is to just try it for yourself, if at all possible.

At 09:41 AM 1/27/2007, you wrote:
Hello Adrian,

Do you know when 8 point o was released, and weather they have fixed most of
the common glitches?
Thanks for the quick response.

Roger Bachelder

Hi, Roger.

It's interesting how the FS salesperson presented this package to you. In
fact, what you're being offered in the 3-for-1 deal is JAWS 8 plus the SMA
(software maintenance agreement). The point is that the SMA entitles you to
free technical support. That may be reason alone to go with the deal. FS's
tech support isn't perfect, but they are responsive. Usually, I handle my
questions by email and get responses within 24 hours. If a problem requires
urgent attention, I'll call. The drawback is that the call isn't to FS's
toll-free line, so I'm paying for the time I'm on hold and while speaking to

the tech support rep.

As for the delayed shipment of JAWS 8 to some customers, I'm pretty sure the

alphabet doesn't explain it. But to be honest, I no longer install new
versions of JAWS on their first release, which is what we get with the CD. I

wait until other more adventurous JAWS users have identified flaws and FS
has put in some fixes. Your SMA would entitle you to download any version,
including the latest, from the FS website. Therefore, the mailing issue
turns out to be minor. (Yes, in the case of JAWS 8, the additional voices
came on a separate CD and couldn't be downloaded, but it's unlikely a future

package will include such an add-on.)