Jaws 8 and Skype

  • From: "Stefano Manzi" <stefano.xy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:42:59 +0200

Hi. Since October 2004 I've been using Skype, for normal talks but also for
help purpose with blind people in solving their computers' troubles.
Until end of 2005 I upgraded Skype from 1.0, to 1.1, 1.2,
1.3 and 1.4.
This is my latest preferred version I would never change because, beginning
with Skype 2.x and 3.x, a limit to join people in conference has been
implemented.

The fact is made by the following steps:

1. someone, hosting a conference, decides to call me. In that moment, I am
alone and I decide to answer. We are for example, totally three of us.

2. at a certain point, an only-one person calls me.
So, we have two cases depending on the version of Skype we use:

Case A: Skype 1.4 and previous. From the Call menu, I choose answer and join to
the conference. That person enters to participate with us, so the talkers
become four.

Case B: Skype 2 and later versions.
The command Answer and join to the conference is always there, available in the
Call menu. But, if activated, Skype displays an error message indicating that
only the host can insert new entries in the ocnversation.
So, I must suspend the conference and speak alone with that person.

Well, all this explanation to know, if Skype 1.4 and prior versions can be used
with jaws later than 6.20... because, at least for Italian users, Skype 1.4
works fine with jaws 5.x and 6.x using scripts created by Nicola Ferrando.

The direct link to point to the zip file and dowload it, is:
http://www.nicolaferrando.it/jfw-skype140.zip

I tried to download, extract and copy script in the User settings folder of
jaws 8.0, but the result was bad... in fact, even with scripts and even after
pressing insert-0 and control-s, jaws 8 and Skype 1.4 require JAWS cursor
emulation otherwise I cannot read chats, modify options and so on!

I also did a merge from version 6.10, but with Skype... the skype.jss seems to
be empty!

Which are your suggestions?
Please, don't tell me "update your Skype" or "use jaws 6 if you want skype 1.4
to work properly!".
These things I already know but I want to go beyond the apparent obstacle!
I'm sure with your advices I'll manage in my aim!

Bye with a big, big smile!