Re: Jaws 12 in Outlook shared calendar.

  • From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 22:27:42 -0800

Judy,

Shared calendars work fine with Outlook 2007 and JAWS 12 so I suspect there
shouldn't  be any difference with Outlook 2010.

In current view, Day/week/month view is recommended with JAWS. Also check the
day (Ctrl+Alt+1) item.

The Day item means that as you tab, you will route through the day you're on.
As you tab through each appointment and you reach the latest, when you tab
again you'll be back at the top of that day.

Week (Ctrl+Alt+3) means that as you tab, when you leave the latest appointment
on a given day, you'll land on the first appointment of a subsequent day. This
view is actually a bit more responsive than the day view.

Yes, turn off those unwanted views in calendar just like in the inbox, as they
get in the way of JAWS.

Except the navigation pane -- you'll need that to select the shared calendars.
Either normal or minimized, but minimized takes extra steps to open and close,
so distracting.

Ctrl+g will let you jump to a particular day, as George has already said.

F6 is an important key to use in switching between folders and the different
calendars, just like in the message folders.

F6 to jump to the calendar folders, and arrow down to the calendar you are
sharing, spacebar to check.

F6 again will put you in the view of the shared calendar.

Another f6 will put you in your own calendar.

Navigation with JAWS is the same in either calendar, but I notice that the
number of appointments announced each day is not consistent with a single
calendar. I think JAWS gets confused and reads the total of both calendars for
a given day, as though they are overlaid on each other. However tabbing through
the day reads only the appointments for that particular calendar.

Insert + a and Insert + a twice help you listen to all appointments in a given
day, as well as virtualizing.

Most important key to use is Insert+f1, as it gives you a very long list of
hotkeys to use, and appears to be well-written.

Dave
Composed on a Dell Latitude 630 in the general vicinity of my Audio Recording
and Mixing Studios, San Jose, California