RE: JFW-friendly OCR

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:31:54 -0500

OpenBook offers a feature in which its native speech can be turned off.
It also lets one switch to the JAWS keyboard layout so the numeric
keypad keystrokes work identically to those in JAWS.

OB has a ton more useful features than the lower priced OCR packages.
All of these have been careful designed for use by a blind person rather
than the mainstream audience.  Thus, OmniPage may do the OCR nicely but
it will not contain concepts like templates or other intelligent
features designed to help recognize not just the text but the document
itself.  OpenBook also gives the user a very convenient way of scanning
documents and moving them back and forth to their notetaker, reading
Grade 2 books and even converting the scanned image into a BRF file.

OB and K1000 are more expensive because the market is much smaller.  We
spend an awful lot in usability testing and research and development to
make our products work as easily as possible for blind users.  For some,
OmniPage is enough but, for me, a lifelong computer user, I prefer the
conveniences of OpenBook.

Cdh

Chris Hofstader
VP/Software Engineering