Re: JFW and Plug N Play. Second try

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:10:31 -0000

Hi Dick,

If you go to the control panel and start the "system" applet.  On the third
tab (under WinXP) there's a button to start the device manager.  The device
manager will list the hardware currently installed on your system, so the
external storage device will show up in this if it's plugged in and being
detected by the system.  Once you've found it in the list, press enter and
you will be able to view the properties for the device.  The properties will
be able to tell you which driver the hardware is using, and whether that
hardware is working fine.  Also, within the properties you can do a repair,
uninstall, or update drivers for the hardware that you are viewing the
properties for.

I'd have a look at this and see what it shows for your external storage
device.

Will Pearson
Microsoft MVP (Visual Developer/VC++)