RE: JFW and Office xp?

  • From: "Edward Marquette" <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:35:36 -0600

I have been using JAWS with Office XP for over a year and a half.  In
fact, I was an Office XP user before I became a JAWS user.  Because my
firm makes extensive use of MS Word's tables, track changes, styles, and
screen colors, there really is no other choice.  There is no screen
reader other than JAWS, to my knowledge, that allows a blind user to use
Office XP and these features.
I need to be precise, however, because not all versions of JAWS are
created equal.
Version 4.51, in my experience, is vastly superior to JAWS 5.0.
Something is wrong, I think, with the 5.0 video drivers, as many on this
list have experienced.  JAWS 5.0 gives inaccurate screen information,
skips lines, and otherwise behaves erratically, particularly in Office
XP.
Thus, if you are thinking about Office XP, to be safe, be sure you are
using JAWS 4.51 and not 5.0.  I am hoping JAWS 5.1 will fix the 5.0
problems.
Good luck.

Ed Marquette
930 West 34th St.