JFW 6.0 Too Chatty Going to DeskTop

  • From: "Margaret Thomas" <iluvtoread@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:48:20 -0400

Hi All,

    I'm hoping I can get JAWS 6.0 to be less verbose with Windows XP
Home when I hit Windows key-M or Windows key-D to get to My Desktop.
With the former, JFW says "Folder View List View" and reads the names
of several items on my Desktop such as My Documents, Outlook Express,
etc.  JAWS 6.0 was better behaved on my Win 98 se machine and just
said something like "My Computer" or "My Desktop."  When I hit Windows
key-D, JAWS reads several items in my Desktop and it's almost as
annoying.

    I thought maybe I could quiet it down by using the steps for
getting rid of the infamous "Read only edit" and look for "folder
view" instead of "Read only edit," but I don't find "Folder View" in
the list view that "Read only edit" is in.  I did find "Desktop Speak
Control Type Using NormalVoice " which sounds promising, but I wanted
to double check before I went ahead and did it.

    Will this do the trick or is there another setting somewhere that
should be changed?

    Thank you,
Margaret
iluvtoread@xxxxxxx