JFW 4, XP, Braille displays, and Ports

  • From: "Jeff Bohrman" <jeffjaws@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:47:14 -0500

Hello:
I have a very difficult problem that my computer technician and others can't
seem to figure all that out.  Most of the issues are related to the usage of
Jaws and the ports I have on my Desktop.

I have a Dell 1.2 GHZ computer with three serial ports and a number of USB
ports.  Up to about three weeks ago, I had been using various Braille Display
units (PB 80, PB 40, and BL M40) on COM1 without any problem.  I have Windows
XP Home edition operating system and use JFW 5 PRO.  Now all of the Braille
Display units will not work on COM1 and COM2 but will work on COM4.  I think
the problem started when I installed a new printer with an USB cable.

We contacted Dell who assisted us through performance test and they said the
COM1 was communicating fine and dandy.  They could not help us further because
we added the two serial ports on our own.  FS said to use COM4 and that was it.
 The tech was here yesterday to try to figure out why COM1 and COM2 do not work
and still no solution.

While the tech was here, I simply pulled out an USB cable with no device on it.
 Presto, the Braille display went blank!  The tech had to power off and on my
system to get the COM4 to communicate with the display.

And even more so weird was that we tried to install USB hub into the USB port
in the back of the computer.  Windows XP would not recognize it so we had to
move the plug into the USB port in front of the CPU.  I want to point out that
we also did the performance test for all USB ports and they were communicating
fine and dandy as well.  Jaws is damn strict when it comes to using USB ports
always getting confused if we change things around on USB ports.

Why in the heck would the new printer cause all that havoc.  We even
uninstalled the printer driver but this did not help.  Why aren't COM1 and COM2
working with Braille displays????

Thank you!

Jeffrey Bohrman