JFW 11/12 and Outlook 2003 custom messages

  • From: "James Homuth" <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 03:30:59 -0500

I've gotten used to seeing messages laid out a certain way when I scroll
through them in Outlook. You can blame the fact I've used outlook in an
office environment where it's almost required I get through messages quickly
for that. After JAWS 10, by default, JAWS doesn't actually display messages
in that way. JAWS 11 introduced customiseable outlook message lists, which
are supposed to produce feedback similar to what you might be used to if
configured correctly. I've set mine up that way in both JAWS 11 and 12, and
for the most part, they work virtually identically to the older behaviour of
JAWS 10 and earlier. Unless I have to change folders. If I change folders,
or switch views in a current folder, JAWS returns to the default, unwanted
behaviour of reading messages. Which... is grand, except for the fact that
well, that's not what I told it to do. If I alt tab out of the Outlook
window, and then back in, it reads the way I told it to. At least until such
time as I have to switch folders again. I'm running JAWS 11 and 12, both
latest builds of each. Does anyone else using custom Outlook message lists
have this issue? Did they find a fix for it? If so, there's a coffee or
something in it for you if you share. Or at least a heartfelt thanks.