Re: JFW 10 and JUNO

  • From: Flint Million <fmillion@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:32:45 -0600

I don't know much about recent Juno releases, the last experience I had with
them was years ago, but it would not surprise me that 1) their app is
inaccessible and 2) they won't let you downgrade to a previous version. In
general I've always found any of the services that require you to use a
proprietary application to get access will have trouble, an exception being
America Online which in general has had some support.

Is Juno still doing the free internet access in exchange for ad space on your
desktop deal? Is that what this person is doing?

Truth of the matter is that in my experience, most of the national free or
discounted dial-up ISPs (Juno, NetZero, etc.) are offering you cheaper Internet
in exchange for mandatory ad exposure - meaning, part of the reason your price
is low is because you are forced to view ads at all times, even if you're not
using apps that would normally show ads.

This means that the ISPs would have a valid argument, by arguing that unless
the ads themselves were all fully accessible (and to advertisers this means
mandatory exposure - you'd be forced to hear them with JAWS etc. like TV
commercials) that accessibility is not an obligation on their part because if
you are using screen access and missing the ads, you are not giving them the
benefits that give them a reason for discounting the access - that is, exposure
to the ads themselves.

It may be time to look into a more "plain" ISP for your colleague. Yeah it may
cost more, but accessibility will be much simpler. Most local ISPs offering
dial-up will let you connect using the built-in dialup client in Windows,
meaning there is no additional application that needs to be installed to get
online.

If E-mail itself is the only problem here (that is, this gentleman does have a
connection to the Internet outside of Juno), then suggest a free G-mail account
(or look around for other services that offer POP or IMAP access). G-Mail for
sure is usable from Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail, which is much more
efficient than trying to navigate the website using JAWS. Gmail does have a
captcha during signup, but that's the only time you will ever encounter one in
normal use.

FM