JAWS stops speaking when application closes

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:17:48 -0400

I'm following up on a thread from the other day that I've since deleted. The
lister found that on closing certain programs, JAWS stopped speaking. The
programs s/he named, as I recall, were MS Word and Outlook. Here's a belated
suggestion.

Instead of closing with alt-F4 or from within the file menu, go to the tasks
list with alt-control-delete, put focus on the application and press alt-e.
Perhaps this method of shutting down a program won't cause JAWS so much
distress.

This occurs to me because on my XP computer, I've noticed that even after
I've closed Outlook, the system still keeps it going somewhere because the
pings of arriving email keep on coming.