re: JAWS speech synthesizers

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 05:05:05 -0400

Tom,

This could be accomplished in a C++ program, but it would be a lot of work
writing the code to interface with JAWS. You might be able to accomplish
this more easily with a JAWS script, but I'm not a scripter, so I'm not sure
about all the capabilities of the JAWS scripting language. I think you
should post this question on the JAWS scripting list at:

As an alternative to writing your own spelling program, you could just buy
one of the numerous programs available out there. That way, you avoid trying
to reinvent the wheel.
Good luck with your project.

Alan

Tom wrote:

You right . Am writing the software to read out some words . My VI friend
uses JAWS already. So I was thinking if I could use the speech systhesiser
used by JAWS ( either Eloquence / SAPI5 ) to spell out the words ( invoking
it from the program ).

Its a program to test their spelling abilities . ( Initially I was thinking
of playing an audio file of a word and making them type the word .. But on
second thoughts, that would  be a bulky program to add the audio files along
, instead, if I could just make the program read these words from a text
file ( not shown to the VI user )  through the JAWS speech sysnthesizer ,
that would be easier .. Here is the flow ..

program reads the word --> program talks word --> user enters the word -->
program checks the spelling.
Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Tom