re: JAWS speech synthesizers

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:14:30 -0400

Tom,

Technically speaking, JAWS is not a "speech synthesizer." It is a
screen-reader program which can use either a software or hardware speech
synthesizer to read the text. I'll assume you are trying to write a program
that will make a software synthesizer such as Eloquence or a hardware
synthesizer such as a Dectalk spell words from a text file? If this is the
case, the method for accomplishing this will depend on the synthesizer you
are trying to use. You need to be more specific about what hardware or
software you are using.

Alan

Tom wrote:

Am trying to see if  I can invoke the JAWS speech synthesizer from an
external program to spell out different words . Any clues ?

Tom