Re: JAWS slowing down in Word

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:39:57 -0800

I don't understand. Is he saying that if he tries to work in Word while
antivirus program is running a virus scan, jaws slows down? I couldn't tell
if that's what he means, or if he means that even while it's just running in
the sense of checking for incoming viruses in email or something, this
happens? Well, I sure don't think that just having my AVG Free installed and
functioning (though not scanning) has been any impediment to Jaws in Word or
anywhere else. If I'm unaware that simply having an antivirus program
installed and active in its sort of sentry mode can have this effect, sorry.
I never heard about that.

But I can say one thing. On my Pentium 4 computer, which may not have the
fastest processor speed in the marketplace now that the computer's about
three years old, but certainly is no 8088, it's scarcely worth trying to do
anything while AVG Free edition is actually running a virus scan for the 40
minutes or so it takes on my machine. During that time, enough system
resources are let go to actually function in Outlook express, Word or
anything else without having to wait a minute or two for audible feedback so
seldom that I don't even bother. After someone on this list, or maybe a
couple of folks, said that they'd disabled the automatic daily scheduled
scan and just ran it manually once a week or so, I decided to live
dangerously and try the same approach, like starting the scan when I'm
leaving home for a while or going to bed. And so far, so good, no
catastrophes. And no more sitting at the computer trying to function on it
despite the scan being in progress and getting very frustrated.

Anyway, if you found you have to actually turn off your antivirus program
just to use your computer, at any time, that sounds awful. But if you mean
while it's running a real scan, well, this AVG Free Edition user wouldn't
recommend even trying to work while that's happening. But I've heard others
say that this doesn't happen to them on their machines, it's only fair to
mention..