JAWS playing nice with competing screen readers

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 14:38:02 -0500

Hi,
I'm wondering what the experience has been here with any JAWS users
installing screen readers from other vendors alongside JAWS.  The reason I
ask is that I find myself in a position of needing to know how software
comes across to these other screen readers, not just JAWS alone.  I don't
recall the specific version of JAWS, but recall reading some time back about
how all the screen reader manufacturers were going to be using a new
standard which would allow multiple accessibility products to be installed
without causing one another various problems.

Please understand I'm not talking about running three different screen
readers at once, I'm referring to being able to load probably at most a
current WindowEyes and a current Dolphin product along with my existing JAWS
4.51/5.0, then run a particular screen reader for testing a software access,
unloading the screen reader, loading another screen reader, testing access
of a software with that one, unloading that screen reader, etc., I think the
process makes sense.

I would very much appreciate knowing any "gotchas" others here have
encountered in doing this, if anyone has, so I might make an informed
decision on how I want to proceed on this.  It would also be helpful to know
version numbers of the screen readers you've used, rather than just telling
me "I loaded JAWS and WindowEyes" which doesn't really tell me anything
specific enough.

I would have posted this to a programming list since I'm primarily wanting
to do this to test software, but felt I might get a better idea on just the
JAWS side of things by posting here.  I'm really concerned here about these
other products working nicely with JAWS, since JAWS is where I've placed my
investment.  I'm not planning to buy any of the other readers, just use them
to test with assuming they won't expire on me some period after installation
(e.g., JAWS can be run in demo mode as many times as one likes but only for
40 minutes at a time).  I'm thinking the other products I mentioned can also
do this but maybe some of you can comment to that.

My primary concerns here again are what problems I can expect to encounter
trying to load and use other screen reader products on a machine that JAWS
4.51/5.0 is installed on, along with the version numbers of those products
so I won't be dealing with "apples vs. oranges".  Many thanks for any info
in advance!
-Greg Epley