RE: JAWS patch

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 06:01:40 -0600

Looks like that's already happened. We got reports of a virus on someone's machine and they can't seem to get rid of it. This is why it's really important to stop and think a minute before you do something. There are people who say you shouldn't even open attachments of any kind, at all, ever. That's not always possible but really, let's think about this for a second. 1. FS just released the final version of JAWS this past week. Do you think they would come out with a patch this soon and not say why they're doing it? Whenever they do, there's always a what's new section explaining what the new update does, that's information people need to determine if the update is something they'll benefit from 2. This patch was sent to lots of people via e-mail. This means a couple things actually, both of them kind of scary. Firstly, there's someone out there gathering e-mail addresses and sending infected, or what we suspect are, infected files. Secondly, it would make sense for FS to gather this information for their databases to send out SMA shipment CD's, or other material, but they don't ever send out updates to JAWS via e-mail. They have the check for updates feature, and you'll see notes from people about the newest update on lists like this one. Plus the latest updated version is always on their website so why would a company like Freedom Scientific need to use a service like Sendspace? I love Sendspace just as much as the next guy, but companies like the major screenreader vendors have lots of space to work with on their servers, so the fact that they would even need to use sendspace is quite laughable! I hope this is a learning experience for everyone, not just those who installed this, ...whatever in the hell it was.

Honestly though. Who's actually going to spend time developing a trojan just for the blind community? lol