Re: JAWS on a thumb drive

  • From: "Andy Culmer" <culmerandy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:56:39 -0800

Where did you go to download it?
culmerandy@xxxxxxxxxxx
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Brian Giles
  To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 6:22 PM
  Subject: JAWS on a thumb drive

  Hi all,

  I downloaded the portable version of JAWS 10 that runs from a thumb drive
just in case I ever need it. I'm very picky when it comes to my JAWS settings,
so running JAWS off my thumb drive in some ways has been great. I used it in
Florida while I was there in the summer, and got teased quite a bit for wanting
to have my JAWS settings just so. LOL

  I know you can't do a merge from the version that is installed on your
computer, although I really wish you could! Since it looks like all the
settings get put in a JAWS X folder on your thumb drive depending on what
version of JAWS it is, would it be possible to just copy my my settings folder
under JAWS 10 on my desktop onto my thumb drive? I've done a lot of customizing
to JAWS on my desktop over the years, particularly with sound schemes, and it's
hard to remember what I did. With the desktop I can just do a merge everytime a
new version of JAWS comes out, and JAWS works just like the older version.
Whenever a new portable version comes out though, I have to go through all the
customizing again.

  IMO though it is great, the thumb drive version needs some tweaking. I
haven't used a Braille display often although I'm starting to more, but I don't
see why you can't use a Braille display if you're running JAWS off a thumb
drive. Every other screen reader's portable version lets you do that. The other
thing that would be cool is if they could figure out a way to let you use PAC
Mate desktop with a thumb drive version of JAWS, and use your PM's serial
number to authorize it, just like you can with the desktop version. That sounds
like it'd be useful for people who cary their PM around with them anyway. The
only thing with that though, is the PM desktop uses ActiveSync. I tried setting
that up with a demo of JAWS in a computer lab on campus, and it ended up being
more trouble than it was worth because I couldn't get PM Desktop to work
reliably.

  Brian