Re: JAWS cursor and the mouse

  • From: "inthane" <inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 18:07:19 -0700

hey Cy,

another thing that most of us don't think about and/or don't know is that when
jaws starts auto reading something, it automatically runs the mouse/jaws cursor
from top to bottom of the page/document which leaves sighted folks sitting at
the bottom of the thing while jaws is just starting to read at the top, the PC
cursor generally follows the voice for the main part, but the page focus is way
out of wack at times.

to get your wife in and on the same spot as you:
1. stop any auto reading.
2. make sure the pc cursor is at the area you want to show, best to be directly
on the area of the sentence etc you want for easiest viewing
3. route jaws to pc cursor,
4. hit insert and escape to "refresh the screen", this will generally refocus
the document so the area your working in is in the "visible screen area"

sometimes I need to switch to jaws cursor and use the arrow keys to move it
left and right rapidly to "show" a sighted person where I'm at visually (a
rapid hitting of right and left arrow once each direction back and forth
usually works well).

HTH,
elf