RE: JAWS, authorization & free markets

  • From: "Cy" <cselfridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:02:08 -0600

Trouble, my friend,
  You need to carefully read the email. I did not say you would be able
to purchase JAWS for under $100, I said you will be able to purchase a
product with JAWS like features for under $100. Today you can purchase a
good OCR product for under $100. Sure, Text Cloner does not have all of
the bells and whistles that Open book has but, for those of use who can
not afford the Freedom Scientific prices Text Cloner works just fine. As
more and more products use speech the JAWS like features will be
available on most software products because there are an awful lot of
people who just flat can not read. Not because they have a visual
problem, it is because they are, for all practical purposes, illiterate.
Take a check of today's high school students and ask them to read
something. You will be amazed at what a chore it is for them. Yes, you
are correct, Freedom Scientific is not likely to lower their prices so
long as there is a governmental or some other charitable agency willing
to pay the current price. Now, while we are on this subject, the one
thing I can not believe is that someone actually published a source for
JAWS keys knowing that this list is monitored by Freedom Scientific. It
ranks right up there with the bank robber who wrote the demand note on
the back of his personal check. I also think most of us are in agreement
that it is not good to bite the hand that, so to speak, feeds you.
Hopefully we can put this matter to sleep once and for all. CYS...