Re: JAWS and Spanish Language

  • From: "Francis Daniels" <fdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:41:29 -0700

My wife has American English Word 2000.  In order to compose in Spanish, she
switches JAWS to Latin American Spanish, and types in Spanish, but not using
the Spanish language Word keyboard layout.  It's the unchanged English
keyboard layout.  Does that make sense?

In some documents, she can switch to American English JAWS to hear the
menus, and finds JAWS will read the Spanish document some of the time.
Other times it will read Spanish in an American accent.  There seems to be
no way to find why it does that.  I checked the Languages option installed
on her version of Word, and it has about 10 different kinds of Spanish.
It's really cool, too.  There's Columbian, Costa Rican, Mexican, Ecuadorian,
and others I can't recall.

JAWS 5 is supposed to switch language reading with HTML, and it does that
with no problem.  But it's in Word that's the oddity.

I hope I'm explaining this so that it's understandable.  And thank you so
very much for all your suggestions.  I have a few other people not on this
list looking into it as well.  If we find out what is going on, I will let
this list know.

Francis