JAWS and Excel and Word

  • From: "Lora" <loravara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 15:43:39 -0600

Hi,

I'm not a great Excel user, but I've had to use it more and more lately.  I
have a few questions about it and about Word:

1.  How do I format the spreadsheet when I import it from a non-Excel file?
Other people can click on the columns, and force them to the size they want,
and arrange the data how they want.  Since I can't, it usually ends up in
one column, all clumped together.  I'm usually importing from a text file
when I try this.

2.  If I have an SSN, formatted as 012-34-5678, and I want it without the
formatting, what's the best way to do this without losing the leading zeros?

3.  In Word, how do I delete comments?  How do I add to a comment without
adding to the text of the document?  What's the best way to tell to what
portion of the text the comment refers to?

4.  After making entries in a table in Word, what's the best way to tell if
the formatting has been preserved, and the data still looks correct to
sighted folks?

5.  Why would JAWS say "empty or "blank" when moving through a table, when I
know there's data there?  What's the best way to read a Word table with
JAWS?

Thanks for all your help.