Re: JAWS and Braille displays

  • From: "david poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:13:55 -0500

More and more, fs is driving towards tailoring jaws to *their* braille
displays.  I have and use extensively the Alva satellite 544 Traveller
display and find it to be quite adequate.  I have used and examined a number
of displays over the years and many have their strengths and weaknesses.
Some have 5 status cells while others including the traveller have only
three.  Were I able to do it, I'd get an 80+ character display because
often, you need more than the 40/44 cells that the alva will provide to keep
from having to pan right which is not too difficult but does tend to break
concentration from time to time.  If you are using a laptop though, You
might want to consider a display that meets those needs.  I originally
obtained the 544 for that purpose but find that I use it on my desktop
instead most of the time.

In order to get a good idea of what will want to purchase, you should test
drive several displays for a while each before settling on one.  I find the
braille x family to be especially interesting in their design and when I
used the ELBa I liked its built in display with that thumb usable action
bar.  There are a number of factors that go into deciding what braille
display to choose and much of it comes down to personal preference.