Re: JAWS Using CITRIX

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:03:12 +0100

Hi all.
Does Firebox allow you to log on to servers remotely then? If so can I use a screen reader in a terminal session? Or can I only do this with actual Remote Desktop/Terminal Services or Citrix.

From Chris H in Derbyshire
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266
Please visit my blog at http://chrishallsworth.klangoblog.net.
If you need any computer help, please contact me. Thank you.

On 17/09/2010 02:52, Marquette, Ed wrote:
John:
I haven't used JAWS with Citrix since JFW version 7. Then, it was kind
of a pain. Periodically, JAWS would claim that I didn't have proper
authorization. Often, when the screen saver came on, it would
disconnect. In fact, our systems administrator was so frustrated with
JAWS that I was strongly encouraged to switch to Window-Eyes, which I did.
I've now switched firms, and couldn't get Window-Eyes to work with our
Web-based document management system. So, i switched back to JAWS (on
Version 11).
We have something called "Firebox." It is, apparently, a kind of VPN
application. I run it from the desktop, enter my password, and suddenly,
I have access to Network drives. All loads and saves go to the network
drives (unless I specify otherwise). The applications, however, all run
locally. It is the next best thing to being at my desk, in the office,
with the laptop connected to the docking station. Sometimes, I even
think it is better.
JAWS resides only on my laptop. No administrators have to load anything
on any servers. In short, it is wonderful.
Going back to Citrix would be like going back to the stone age.
I must confess; I have a strong preference for small applications that
do their thing flawlessly and then get the heck out of the way. Firebox
does exactly that. Sometimes, if I'm concentrating, I forget I'm
remotely connected through Firebox. I could never, ever say that with
Citrix, whether I was running JAWS or Window-Eyes.
So, if your VPN is like Firebox or is Firebox, run, don't walk, to use
that option.
I used to have to deal with a Citrix administrator to fix something
fairly frequently. He and I became fast friends. I've never called an
administrator with Firebox.