Re: JAWS & Southwest Airlines

  • From: "Kelly Pierce" <kpierce2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 21:02:08 -0600

For the record, the National Federation of the Blind did *not* sue Southwest Airlines. A cross-disability lawsuit mill in Florida called Access Now did. A federal court found that Southwest did not have to make its site accessible to people with disabilities. Further, blind people have no legal standing to sue Southwest or any other airline for that matter because they cannot use JAWS to purchase a ticket on the site. Air travel is not covered by the ADA but by a law called the Air Carrier Access Act, which does not offer an individual a private right of action.

Kelly

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: jfw-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jfw-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt

Hi, Vicki.

The NFB sued Southwest Airlines some years ago over its website and lost. The current lawsuit against Target is intended to overcome that huge obstacle to accessibility.

From what you write, it would seem you might benefit from sighted assistance in setting up your account but that you might be able to access it once that's done. I hope so.

A.S.