JAWS 8.0 Issues

  • From: "Gary King" <w4wkz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 19:21:31 -0600

I updated Build 422 of JAWS 8.0 that came on my CD to Build 423 today.  I'm not
sure what they fixed, but it wasn't the Spell Checker in Outlook Express.  Each
time it checks a word, it speaks blank for the misspelled word and then speaks
the first suggestion and spells it.  How many of you have experienced this
problem?  My old 6.2 version of JAWS works fine in the Outlook Express 6.0
Spell Checker.

The only other big issue I've had with JAWS 8.0 so far is that it sometimes
loses focus on a Web page when I Alt Left Arrow back to a previous page.  When
this happens I have to route the JAWS cursor to the Virtual cursor and perform
a mouse click with the slash key on the keypad to regain focus.

When I was looking around in the Outlook Express scripts to see if I could see
anything to change in the spell check function, I noticed a function that was
documented as a work-around for the focus bug.  It would be nice if FS would
squash these bugs instead of working around them.

Gary King
mailto:w4wkz@xxxxxxxx