JAWS 7 and Word Perfect 11 Problem

  • From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 14:52:36 -0500

Hello All:

I received a call from a woman using JAWS 7.0 and Word Perfect Version
11.  Her problem is that when she attempts to read through documents in
Word Perfect using up and down arrow to read each line, JAWS only says
part of the line of text.  Yet, when she uses the right and left arrow
to move across the line, JAWS will read each letter of the words on the
Line.  For example on one particular line of text, it says "JUDY BLUME."
You can hear that if you go across the line letter by letter, but if you
down arrow onto the line to read it, JAWS says "jud."

Here is what we have tried without success:
1.  Went into the view menu, then down to Hide Bars and pressed enter to
check it.
2.  Press enter on Shadow Cursor to uncheck it.
3.  Looked at the Word Perfect settings which we got to via the tools
menu, but could not find anything to change.

I do not have Word Perfect, so it's a bit hard for me to provide full
support to this person.  As JAWS reads documents and other content on
the internet and in Word Pad with no problem, I believe this to be a
Word Perfect problem.

If anyone has any suggestions of what I can have my client try, I would
appreciate it.

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)