Re: JAWS 10 - Auto forms mode

  • From: "Peter Holdstock" <peterholdstock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:18:41 +0100

I think those people who don't understand the problem with JAWS going straight in to forms mode are missing the point.

A sighted user, despite being placed in the edit field can still look around the web page for the content they need.

A JAWS user uses quick navigation keys to look around the site as a sighted person would. The quick navigation keys do not work whilst in forms mode so therefore you cannot quickly move around the site without having to go out of forms mode first.

The most sensible place to begin on a page is at the top then the user can decide where they want to go.

Also, in Google, yes it is safe to assume you are in the edit field, but not all websites put you in the search box, but some put you in the user id box, and others put you straight in to the password field if the user box is already inputted.

Many edit fields do not have sufficient labels attached to them for you to know what they are wanting you to input, and so it can be difficult to know whever you need to input the user id, password, search term or other information (although I realise this is for web developers to get in to the habit of doing putting better labels on forms).-------------------------

How many times have you gone to use quick navigation not realising that JAWS has gone in to auto forms mode and ended up entering text instead.

It has been pointed out that you can turn autoforms mode off. But I love autoforms, and just because I don't want to be put straight in to an edit fieold, doesn't mean I don't want to use auto forms mode for navigation.

I'm happy to be placed at the first edit box on a site loading, but I think on that one occasion, JAWS shouldn't put you in forms mode, but perhaps give you the usual message about pressing enter to go in to forms mode.-------------------------

Peter