Re: Intro, and a question

  • From: "Steve Britt" <swimmer953@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:46:30 -0500

Hi, Chris, and welcome to the list.
I don't know the answer to your question about OUtlook Express headers, but
I can tell you how to make message rules.
Before you make your rule, you need to create a folder where you want your
messages from the rule to go to. To do this, you need to be in the message
list. Hit shift-tab, and you'll hear "inbox". Hit up arrow once, and you'll
hear "local folders". Now, do a control-shift-e, and you'll hear "folder
name". Type the name of your folder. Tab down until you hear "okay". Hit
enter.
Now for the rule: Hit alt-t for tools, r for rules, and you'll hear the word
"mail". This is the selection you want, so you hit enter here. Normally, you
would hear a list of the rules you had created, but since this is your first
rule, you probably won't hear anything. Tab once, and you should hear the
word "new". Hit space bar or enter here, and a list of rule conditions will
open up. What do you want Outlook Express to look for? Let's say you wanted
to find messages with a subject that contained a certain word. You arrow
down until you hear "where the subject contains specific words". When you
get to this selection, hit space bar to check it. Now hit tab, and you'll be
in a list of options. What do you want Outlook Express to do once it finds
the messages listed in the condition you indicated? In this case, you want
the first option that says "move the message to a specific folder. Hit space
bar to check this selection. Hit tab, and you should hear something like
"apply this rule when message arrives.' This is actually the part where you
put in what you want Outlook Express to look for in the subject, and the
folder where you want the messages to be placed. Hit down arrow once, and
you should hear "where the subject contains specific words." Hit enter here,
and type in the word "audyssey". Now hit tab until you hear "okay." Now hit
down arrow until you hear "move message to specific folder". Hit enter here,
and you'll be on a list of folders. If you don't hear the folder you want,
hit up or down arrow until you do, then tab to "okay". Okay, you've just
created your rule, now you're going to give it a name. Tab once, and you'll
hear something like "message rule number one". Go ahead and type in the name
you've chosen for this rule. In my example, we'd use "audyssey." Now tab
until you hear "okay" and hit enter. You've just created a message rule. Let
me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps.