Interesting JAWS Verbosity Question

  • From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:35:14 -0500

Hello All:

I have received a call from a client who asked me two quite unusual
questions about JAWS Verbosity.  She has the advanced settings turned on
for verbosity, but feels she is still getting too much verbal feedback.
For example, she doesn't want to hear "Menu Bar" or "Leaving Menus" when
she goes in and out of menus; as she says, I know I'm going in and out
of menus and don't need to be told.  She is using JAWS 7.0, and she
claims she was able to turn things like this off in 4.0 or 4.5, but
can't figure out how to turn them off in 7.0.

Also, there is an option in JAWS Verbosity in word under Speech and
Sound Schemes for Document specific.  The client needs this because in
some documents, she needs to know that particular items are bolded and
underlined and in other cases she does not.  How can the document
specific schemes be set up for these different types of documents and
how can she bring in the different schemes for different types of
documents?

Any help on these questions would be very much appreciated.

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)